As weeds take a greater toll on crop yields, the Maryland Soybean Board (MSB) is encouraging Mid-Atlantic farmers to take action to prevent the spread of herbicide resistant weeds.
“If weeds are identified in their earliest stages, we can make a plan to control them before they overtake a field,” stated Brian Johnson, chair of the MSB Research Committee. “We are investing in research to assist farmers in combating the issue and improving yields on the farm, and then relaying that information to the farmer.”
Weed control is a top priority for the soybean board, as it impacts the health of the soil as well as crop yields. The soybean growers now offer a herbicide lookup app that farmers can use to identify weeds in the field. This is available at www.iwilltakeaction.com, along with additional tools in weed management.
MSB has teamed up with the University of Maryland Extension to offer workshops for farmers interested in learning about herbicide resistant weeds and improve weed control on their farms. As the spread of these weeds continue in the Mid-Atlantic, it is imperative for landowners to learn management strategies that will help control the weeds.
Herbicide Weed Management Workshops run 8:00 am to 1:00 pm and will cover integrated weed management tactics; Palmer amaranth, common ragweed and marestail control strategies; and developing a weed management plan. There is no charge to attend and lunch will be provided. Pesticide (commercial and private) and CCA continuing education credits will be offered. Farmers are requested to RSVP to provide an accurate meal count.
• February 26: St. Mary’s County UME Office, 26737 Radio Station Way, Leonardtown. Call St. Mary’s County UME Office, 301-475-4484.
• March 4: Harrington Volunteer Fire Company, 20 Clark St, Harrington. Call UD Carvel REC, 302-856-2585 (ext 540).
• March 5: Somerset Extension Office, 30730 Park Drive, Princess Anne. Call Somerset County UME Office, 410-651-1350.
• March 6: Frederick County UME Office, 330 Montevue Lane, Frederick. Call Frederick County UME Office, 301-600-3576.
• March 7: Chestertown Volunteer Fire Company, 211 Maple Ave, Chestertown. Call Kent County UME Office, 410-778-1661.
For more workshop information, contact Ben Beale at 301-475-4481, Michael Flessner at 540-315-2954, Matt Morris at 301-600-3578 or Mark VanGessel at 302-856-7303.